First of all, what exactly is under eye cream?
Simply put, an eye cream refers to a cream that is specifically formulated to be applied to the skin around the eyelid and target under eye concerns. According to some dermatologists, eye cream can help hydrate your skin and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
While it’s totally fair to think that it’s like any other moisturiser, the answer to if under eye creams are worth it depends on who you ask. While some people consider under eye creams to be glamorised moisturisers, there are some who swear by it.
Simply put, some specialists do believe that eye creams can help treat certain issues.
It's important to remember that the skin around your eyes is thin and delicate and can also show signs of ageing sooner than other areas of the face. It's important to keep the skin around the eyelid moisturised to prevent dryness, and because the eye area is more delicate than the rest of your face, some moisturisers like the ones which contain high concentrations of exfoliating acids are better kept at a safe distance.
Eye creams may not be necessary for everyone but if you have dark circles, fine lines, crepiness, and undereye puffiness, an eye cream made to target those concerns can be helpful. What's important is looking for the right under eye cream because quite honestly they can be expensive.
Some ingredients we recommend you should look for in eye creams are -
- Peptides - Peptides support collagen production, so they’re ideal for thinning skin and fine lines.
- Ceramides - Ceramides help moisturise the skin and improve its barrier.
- Hyaluronic acid - Hyaluronic acid is an emollient which means that it attracts water, which moisturises the skin. It can also improve skin elasticity.
- Vitamin C - Vitamin C is an antioxidant that offers sun protection and can help brighten the under eyes.
- Caffeine - Caffeine helps decrease puffiness and dark undereye circles.
- Retinoids - Retinoids can reduce the appearance of wrinkles, but remember to only use it in the evening.
Eye cream can be an effective addition to your skincare routine if you have specific under-eye issues you're hoping to correct.
Let us know what other topics you’d like for us to breakdown.
Until next time,
Stay curious. Stay #freequal